Strong Criminal Defense Forged By
Over 20 Years Of Experience

Getting copies of driving records and their importance

On Behalf of | Dec 2, 2021 | Traffic Violations |

Traffic infractions in Fort Myers, Florida, are classified as moving or nonmoving, and usually add points to your license. Too many points could cause your license to get suspended, but mistakes often happen. If you think there are errors, you can obtain a copy of your driving record.

Why checking a driver’s record is important

A good driving record is important for many reasons, but it helps you get lower insurance rates. If a provider finds traffic violations on your record, they may charge higher premiums or deny you coverage. Some providers offer accident forgiveness and reduce rates if you go for a period of time without an accident.

Many occupations require you to have a valid driver’s license and a clean record, such as police and bus drivers. You cannot have any suspensions for commercial driver’s licenses, vehicles that carry dangerous materials, and vehicles transporting 16 passengers or more.

How to get your driving record

There are four types of driving records you may request in Florida: three-year record, seven-year record, certified record, and comprehensive record. The three-year and seven-year records will show any violations or accidents during that time and accumulated points.

The most accurate copy of your record is available through the DMV in person or by mail by paying a small charge. If you order by mail, be prepared to wait at least 30 days, so order well in advance of needing it.

Your insurance provider can provide you a copy, sometimes a free non-certified record, depending on the agency. If you can’t wait or your insurance provider can’t access a copy, check third-party vendors, but these often cost more. Regardless of how you get the record, you will likely be required to provide identification from your license, such as a social security number.

Many minor traffic infractions should fall off after three or more years. If they don’t or your record has wrong information, let your DMV know.